This firm is registered with the Information Commissioner as a data processor. As such we are committed to observing the data protection principles. You therefore have a number of rights as a data subject including the rights to:
- be informed of the data we hold on you
- have any incorrect or out of date data rectified
- cease to receive certain forms of communication or to restrict processing,
- take your data elsewhere (“portability”)
- object to our use of data.
We use the information you provide primarily for the provision of legal services to you and for related purposes including:
- addressing correspondence and related documents to other parties and opponents in any litigation, as well as other agencies such as HM Land Registry, the courts or Government agencies where relevant to the work we are doing for you
- maintaining the financial and other personal information we are required to keep on clients under the professional rules we are subject to and by law including our obligations to HMRC.
Our use of that information is subject to your instructions, the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018, also our professional duty of confidentiality. We will need to communicate your personal data to any other parties involved in your matter and/or their legal advisers and we might also have to provide information to third parties such as expert witnesses, other professional advisers, our bank (in relation to monies we hold on your behalf in our client account) and the Solicitors Regulation Authority as our regulator.
The legal bases which are relevant to the work we undertake for you are mostly in order that we can satisfactorily perform the contract we have with you and also so that we can protect the interests of our professional indemnity insurers through maintaining suitable records of what we have done on your behalf. We are required by law to retain certain data including identity and address details in order that we can comply with the Government’s anti-money laundering controls. We would need your consent to send you future marketing information, on which see the box at the end of this document.
We do not envisage sending any of your personal data outside the UK or the EU and unlike certain other business concerns we do not as a law firm involve ourselves in automated decision making and profiling.
You have a right of access under data protection legislation to the personal data that we hold about you. If you would like to make a request to know about the personal data we hold on you please let us know, preferably in writing, stating “data subject access request”.
If you are unhappy about the way we are managing your data you have a right to object to the Information Commissioner at Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF (tel: 0303 123 1113).